Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Be the bellman - Arriving at LAX

So like I mentioned in the last post, I had some high hopes and expectations of our arrival back into the good old United States of America.  It really was my first set of high expectations of this trip, as I was pretty leveled headed throughout the whole experience because I new things could change any minute.  So at this point I was over the fact that we would not be making it all the way home today.  I was sad that we would be missing our welcoming party in Utah, but wanted to make the best of being back in the U.S.  We were the last ones off the plane as we waited for everyone else to move out so we wouldn't slow anyone up with all our carryon luggage and small children.

We made the stop at the top of the escalator for a photo op, commemorating our children's first steps on U.S. soil deeming them instant citizens of the United States of America.



We did it!  We were home...almost.  So when we got to customs people didn't welcome us with open arms like I had hoped.  There was one lady that was really cute and gave us big smiles, but about the next six people we had contact with were anything but inviting.  Something I was not prepared for and especially not emotionally and physically capable of handling well, and I'm sad to say I didn't handle it well.  The nicest person to us in the airport was a Russian woman that worked for our airline.  She set us up with another kind gentleman that lugged our two carts of luggage all over the airport for us.  I wish I would have focused more on those three people while we were in the airport, but I didn't.  I just saw one rude person after another and it brought me lower than I have been in a long time.  The straw on my back was an customs agent that was abrupt and cold to us when we were just trying to cross an aisle to get to another part in the airport.  Well I gave him a look that could kill and he rudely told me to get off my phone.  I was just hanging up with Wayne finding out what we were suppose to do now that we were in LA and getting an update on my daughter Kaelyn that found herself admitted to the hospital with RSV and pneumonia just hours before we left Russia.

When we saw the look I gave him he sternly said, "Is something wrong?"  With tears in my eyes I said, "Yes, somethings wrong, we have been in Russia for over a month trying to bring our kids home....", I really don't remember what else I said.  Then he came back with something about me being on my phone and Becky told him I just found out my daughter was in the hospital at home.  With no sense of care or emotion he said, "Well I didn't know that", in which I reply, "Well people are going through hard things in life so you can at least by kind".  Then he walked about.  I'm sure I created quite the scene and the poor security guard hauling our luggage, I'm sure I scared him half to death.  I had had it though.  I just wanted someone to show concern and understanding for all that Becky and I had been through in the last 24 hours, let alone month.  I even so much as told Becky that "There is no more good in this world", something I knew wasn't true, but it felt like it at that very moment.  Thankfully God didn't let me believe that for too long and he sent some very special people into our paths in the coming minutes and hours.

I spent the next little while sobbing uncontrollably until we arrived at the hotel.  I felt horrible for being so out of control, I couldn't even look at the happy little girl holding my hand because I felt so bad for crying so much.  It was like the flood gates were open and I couldn't stop the tears from coming.  Looking back I am even more able to see how much divine help I had throughout my time in Russia.  Had I been left to my own power I would have been a sad little girl while there, but I know Heavenly Father was blessing me greatly even just by keeping it together and staying happy the entire time.

When we got to the hotel I have finally been able to compose myself enough to look somewhat normal.   Then a gentleman came out and loaded up all our luggage and showed us where to go to check in.  After checking in he took us up to our rooms.  He was being so kind, telling us every last bit of information we would ever need to know about their hotel and asking us about our situation.  Finally I just couldn't take it anymore.  It was like Heavenly Father sent down an angel to remind me that, yes indeed there is good in the world and I don't want you to ever feel like there isn't again.  Especially after all your have witnessed over the past year.  Then I REALLY lost it.  I felt so stupid for crying so hard infront of a complete stranger while he took me to my room with the luggage cart.  He just kept telling me how sorry he was for whatever I was going through and that he wanted me to know it would work out.  He even gave me a hug.  I felt so bad because I didn't have any US bills to tip him with since we weren't planning on staying in LA and then I remember I did have some money in my wallet.  It was quite a bit more than you would normally tip someone, but I thought back to my experience at the airport and I just wanted to show him how grateful I was for his kindness.  I could barely speak to tell him how much his kindness meant to me and then he left.  Thankfully Becky was able to watch Jaymi while I called Wayne and cried my tears dry and got it back together.  I just felt like I was letting Jaymi down by being so emotional at such a happy time for us.

In talking to Wayne on the phone I was still so discouraged and told him I didn't think I could face anyone at the airport, I was at the end of my rope and holding on for dear life.  He was so kind and understanding even though things were difficult for him back home with Kaelyn in the hospital and Bryn also had RSV.  I'm so thankful for such a loving husband and amazing father, we are so lucky to have him!

When I got back to Becky's room she had dinner ordered and on its way, the kids were having a great time and there were a few priesthood brethren of a local ward coming over to give us all blessings.  Thanks to her sister-in-law for lining that up.  Another testament from a loving Heavenly Father reminding us that we were not forgotten and left alone at the end of our journey.   The spirit was so sweet as these young men blessed us and our children.  It was so special to see our small children sit quietly with their arms folded while they were blessed to overcome the sickness they were feeling and to prepare them for the entrance into their new lives.  Gabe was so excited he was ready for another blessing after Jaymi's.  Immediately after Jaymi's blessing the fever she had been battling for 2 days was gone and it never returned.  No amount of Tylenol or Ibuprofen was controlling it and I know it was this blessing that healed her.  I also felt much better emotionally and physically after my blessing.  I will never forget this experience and the comfort and peace it brought to my tired soul.

We all chowed down on some good old Papa John's pizza and salad which also helped.  Finally some comfort food that didn't cost an arm and a leg.  While we were hanging out in Becky's room we got a delivery.  A big bottle of water and a tray of sweet concoctions of chocolates.  Our bellman friend sent them our way and also came by and dropped off a card for me.  It was so sweet how concerned he was about me, about us.  His card read;

"Dear Ms. Bonner,

Please accept our heart felt sympathies.  Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Sincerely Jaime, Bellman Radisson LAX"

As Becky so nicely put it, "coincidence that his name was Jaime?  I don't think so."

One of the most important lessons I learned throughout this whole journey came from this experience.  A reminder for me to not only "Believe there is good in the world", but to "BE THE GOOD".  To be like Jaime the Bellman.  To be kind and loving to everyone.  I hope he realizes how great an influence he had on Becky and I that night.  That he will be rewarded in life for being "the good" in the world.  I hope I can follow his example and reach out to those I come in contact with, even if its just for a short moment, to show them they are loved and are not forgotten.

Thank you Jaime for treating us so kindly.  It will not be soon forgotten and I hope to pay it forward, to try and make this world a little bit better.

2 comments:

  1. WOW! What a heartbreaking and so profoundly amazing story! I am so grateful that Jamie's actions and concern helped you to feel better! I am also so VERY grateful that you guys got blessings! What an amazing power huh! I love the Priesthood and all it can do! Thank you for sharing, you have strengthened me as I have contemplated a few things today...paying it forward is such a fun thing to do!! Much love!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for making me cry again while reading your posts. What an adventure, and you NEVER stop finding the silver lining in life do you?

    ReplyDelete